Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

7 year old Yorkie with eye discharge in both eyes. Sclerera…

Customer Question
7 year old Yorkie...

7 year old Yorkie with green eye discharge in both eyes. Sclerera very red bilaterally. Panting and snorting hard. Eating and drinking normally. We saw our vet on Tues. she thought it was allergies and recommended Benadryl. We are traveling and he is worse.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Yorkie?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the Yorkie seem to hurt?

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the Yorkie's name?

His name is Max

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?

Just that he seems like he’s having trouble breathing

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 22 days ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Max has green discharge in both eyes and the sclera is red. Your veterinarian diagnosed it as allergies. Is that a correct summary of the situation?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
but he has started panting hard and there are no 24 hour emergency vets in this area. I gave him Benadryl about 30 minutes ago and he is breathing a little better now.

There are also eye drops that might be helpful if this is an allergy. Antihistamine eye drops are very helpful and can be purchased over-the-counter at a human pharmacy. A product called, "Zaditor" is one example. You may also want to use a human eye wash to help keep the eyes moistened. That will also prevent inflammation and decrease pain. That should help reduce the panting even more.

Does that help to answer your question?

Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 20 days ago

Just checking in. how is Max doing?