Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Do you have dog trainers or vets specializing in medication…

Customer Question
Do you have dog...

Do you have dog trainers or vets specializing in medication for dogs

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Expert can help you best.

I just want to know what expert to call upon.. dog trainer or vet specializing in behavior/medication

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

Dog aggression

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I have a 10 month old Bulldog who is sometimes aggressive towards my 11 year old male mixed breed.. He gets along well with the female in the house but he and the male get into fights.. It is not all the time and there do not seem to be any triggers.. He will incessantly bark at the other male until the other male walks away or get so fed up that a fight ensues.. Like I said it is not all the time ( many times they kiss each other).. I do not think they fight when they are home themselves.. I am thinking of asking my vet to put him on Prozac I have also hired a dog training starting next week. The 10 month old is not neutered so I am wondering if neutering him will lessen the anxiety as wellType of Animal: Bulldog
Gender: Male
Age: 10 months
Name of Dog: Oliver
6/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 21 days ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It sounds more like you are having issues with dominance aggression. He is a young intact male dog who is maturing into an adult and sees an elderly male dog having the top "male" dog position and he is thinking that he should be the top male. He is young, healthy and (in his mind) would make a better top dog than the older dog. If the older dog relinquished his place as top dog (and he would have been top male when the pup got there), then the bulldog would likely stop the fights as he matured but as a young male might feel he has to continue to show the dogs who is in control by barking and provoking the older dog.

The older dog might also still be the boss and is not in tip top shape so only reprimands the pup when he absolutely has to. I would get the training done as soon as possible. A trainer is great but you will need to be training him daily. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Additional training can also help. Both dogs should be leashed and if one dog even looks at the other dog, a correction should be done. Any sign of aggression including a prolonged look, hair raised on the shoulders, a growl or even a stiff legged walk, should be corrected. A correction is a quick tug of the leash and a firm low toned "NO". Once you have done this couple of times, you should notice the dogs ignoring each other. When that happens, you will want to reward them for the desired behavior. Again, use tasty treats like the hot dog slices. This teaches the dogs that you WILL not tolerate fighting in YOUR pack.

Neutering may help especially if the older dog is not neutered as intact animals are the boss over neutered animals. Getting training will help the most. At this point I would try training though your vet might give you something to calm him down a bit while you get the training underway. Ultimately though you need to be able to control him with commands when he is not on medication. As a result I usually don't recommend medication until training fails.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 19 days ago
Hi Diane,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

jadedangel57