Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I left my dog with a friend for a week while i was out on…

I left my dog...

I left my dog with a friend for a week while i was out on vacation. he seemed to have got bitten by an insect or rubbed his lower back and tail on something. ive cleaned his back and put on topical antibiotic but i dont think its getting any better. I'm not sure if he has a bacterial infection

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

No its just red and his little tail is swollen on my bully pit

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Zeus and he is 7yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zeus?

No.. he is good. up to date with his vaccinations

6/1/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about this situation with Zeus. Can you post a picture here of what you're seeing? The paper clip icon can be used to attach a picture?

ok thank you. let get a picture really quick.

I'll be waiting. I'm curious to see what this looks like.

Im sorry it took long. I couldnt get him sit still. im uploading the pics

Don't worry! I know how some pets can be for a photo shoot! Not cooperative. :)

ok here they come

Good job on the pictures! Alright. That area looks definitely irritated. It looks like it could be superficial dermatitis (a hot spot). That skin is wet and moist and inflamed. What typically gets it to heal is to shave the area so it can dry out. Keeping it clean and dry is the best for it. Not letting him lick the area is important too. An e-collar can be used for this. Oral antibiotics would be good tool.

im having to lock him away from my other dogs, since they keep licking his back. My dog Zeus unfortunately cant reach his back but he will try to rub himself on the walls or chairs. its extremely itchy.
What antibiotics should he be taken.

When I have a skin infection similar to this at my clinic, I'm using Cephalexin orally. At home, owners can best treat it by cleaning the area and then blotting it dry. Topical "antibiotics / ointments" typically just keep the area moist and don't do a whole lot.

That cant be bought over the counter correct?

Not it can't. Pretty much all antibiotics can only be obtained through a prescription. The only way to get a prescription is through a physical exam that establishes a veterinary / client / patient relationship. The good news is that this looks like it should heal very quickly and well once the correct therapy is started up.

OK. then i need to reach out to my local Veterinarian to get the prescription.

Correct. They'll most likely clip the fur from that area to let it dry out better and to be cleaned better. Then they'll start a course of oral antibiotics and then this should heal very well!

thank you very much.

Absolutely no problem! Give Zeus a little ear scratching for me and tell him to get better!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
We will..

:)