Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 22lb.10 year old dog ate 1/2 of a cantelope shell. Should…

Customer Question
My 22lb.10 year old...

My 22lb.10 year old dog ate 1/2 of a cantelope shell . Should I be concerned ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

I don't think so

Submitted: 17 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 17 days ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Ok

Hello Again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

The good news here is that there is nothing toxic for dogs in a cantaloupe shell. So the chances are that your dog will be OK. That said, it is possible that some dogs might perhaps suffer a mild transient bout of vomiting or diarrhoea. But, should this occur it is not likely to be serious and will normally just pass on its own.

Given the above, all you need do is to keep an eye on your dog for now, but I will give you a few tips on how to handle a mild tummy upset should it occur.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastroenteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates: LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day, feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days

3. Live yoghurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yoghurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a teaspoon twice a day is fine for small dogs ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs.

Of course, if your dog does deteriorate in any significant way or you become further concerned then you should have a local vet check him over as soon as possible. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 16 days ago

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the cantelope shell ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 13 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian