Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My little dog (8.5 lbs). ate a corn cob, what should I do?

Customer Question
My little dog (8.5...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Jasper, he's a yorkie poo and is 12 years old (but a young 12 years)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jasper?

No - no real other health issues other than being thin.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 20 years. I am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond.

Did the just happen? What were the dimensions of the piece?

it was Cobbett sized
what should I look for to know if he'll have issues

I am not sure what size that is but it sounds like half a corn cob. Anyway, corn cobs are very very difficult for dogs to digest and frequently cause a gastrointestinal blockage. So, my first recommendation would be to take him into the ER clinic and have them induce vomiting. This will be a bit pricey but if the cob causes a blockage then it will be thousands to get it surgically removed.

The other option is to try to induce vomiting at home. The reason I do not like that idea is because it is 70% effective which means there is a 30% chance he will not vomit it up and then it could cause a blockage. To induce vomiting at home you will need milk, bread, and a fresh non-expired bottle of hydrogen peroxide 3%.

First you would give 1/4 piece of bread soaked in milk. Then give 1 teaspoon of the peroxide with a syringe, eye dropper, or small turkey baster. Run him around to shake things up. If he does not vomit give another dose of peroxide. You can give up to 3 teaspoons in total then stop.

Signs of a gastrointestinal blockage are lots of vomiting, pain on abdominal palpation, not eating, and lethargy. Signs usually show up 12 hours to one week after ingestion. The cob could cause a problem after the but it normally happens in a week after ingestion.

Did all of that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

How did Jasper do after eating the corn cob?