Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My little dog (8.5 lbs). ate a corn cob, what should I do?

Customer Question
My little dog (8.5...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Jasper, he's a yorkie poo and is 12 years old (but a young 12 years)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jasper?

No - no real other health issues other than being thin.

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 19 days ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 20 years. I am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond.

Did the just happen? What were the dimensions of the piece?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
it was Cobbett sized
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
what should I look for to know if he'll have issues

I am not sure what size that is but it sounds like half a corn cob. Anyway, corn cobs are very very difficult for dogs to digest and frequently cause a gastrointestinal blockage. So, my first recommendation would be to take him into the ER clinic and have them induce vomiting. This will be a bit pricey but if the cob causes a blockage then it will be thousands to get it surgically removed.

The other option is to try to induce vomiting at home. The reason I do not like that idea is because it is 70% effective which means there is a 30% chance he will not vomit it up and then it could cause a blockage. To induce vomiting at home you will need milk, bread, and a fresh non-expired bottle of hydrogen peroxide 3%.

First you would give 1/4 piece of bread soaked in milk. Then give 1 teaspoon of the peroxide with a syringe, eye dropper, or small turkey baster. Run him around to shake things up. If he does not vomit give another dose of peroxide. You can give up to 3 teaspoons in total then stop.

Signs of a gastrointestinal blockage are lots of vomiting, pain on abdominal palpation, not eating, and lethargy. Signs usually show up 12 hours to one week after ingestion. The cob could cause a problem after the but it normally happens in a week after ingestion.

Did all of that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 16 days ago

How did Jasper do after eating the corn cob?