Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think she has a uti - she is trying to tinkle a lot but…

Customer Question
I think she has...

I think she has a uti - she is trying to tinkle a lot but not able to much. I have given her some cranberry juice but she does not like it! I have azo cranberry pills but wanted to be sure that was ok

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Did you see my response?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She doesn’t! She is just trying to urinate often but is only going drops

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Belle -8

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 24 days ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry to hear that your dog Belle is having issues with urination. I would not advise use of Azo in your little girl. AZO, being available OTC at pharmacies, may seem harmless. But this product's efficacy for your dog is largely unknown. It could be harmful. In fact, AZO may cause certain dogs to experience Hemolysis which is the destruction of red blood cells.

There are a handful of causes of straining to urinate:

1.) A urinary tract infection
2.) Bladder stones that traumatize the bladder and cause bleeding
3.) A bladder tumor, most likely in a senior pet
4.) Trauma- hit by car, muscle trauma of some kind

Ideally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup or no salt broth for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the pain associated with the a potential infection.

Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of her symptoms.

Your vet will run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms

Diagnosing the issue will help determine how best to treat her symptoms and get your pet comfortable swiftly

If she begins to strain without production and is panting, restless, and unable to get comfortable please consider a veterinary er to rule out a urethral stone causing an obstruction which is a true emergency. It is uncommon in female dogs but possible

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 23 days ago

Good evening, I wanted to check in on Belle to see how she is doing after you asked your question yesterday? I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 21 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman