Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think she has an infection in her leg, Dog, Aunora and 3…

Customer Question
I think she has...

I think she has an infection in her leg

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Aunora and 3 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Aunora?

She just had her first litter

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Her back left leg and front right leg and incredibly swollen. Today I found a patch on her where there is no fur and it started to leak pus and blood.
6/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 20 years. How old are the puppies? When did you first notice the leg swelling? Do you have any antibiotics? It sounds like she will need some. We can not prescribe on here without seeing the pet. I thought I would let you know that before we proceed.

Puppies are a week old, I noticed the swelling two days ago but thought it would go down but it has gotten worse. I have not taken her to the vet yet because I cannot carry her down 4 flights of stairs she is a doberman weighing 75lbs.

I have a Doberman too. He weighs 100. Can you send me some pictures of the leg? Maybe I can think of something over the counter.

You should be able to upload photos from your phone. Look next to the "send button" for file upload or a paperclip icon

Is she inside or outside? I am wondering if a toxic spider bit her. That is really infected and the tissue is damaged.

She is going to need antibiotics for sure. Can you get someone to carry her with you? Maybe there is a mobile vet in your area. Or if you live in an area where there are horses can you get a horse vet to come out and give her some antibiotics?

She lives inside

I suppose a spider could have been in the house. She is going to need antibiotics for sure. Can you get someone to carry her with you? Maybe there is a mobile vet in your area. Or if you live in an area where there are horses can you get a horse vet to come out and give her some antibiotics?

You can buy some betadine skin cleanser in the first aid aisle of the drug store. It is a brown antibacterial liquid. Clean the area three times a day.

Would any drug store have it?

It looks like she is licking it as well. You can buy e-collars at PetSmart to stop the licking. Measure the circumference around her neck to figure out what size she needs. The inner tube kind, that you put around the neck and blow up, would be more comfortable for her. You can also buy it online. I would think any drug store should have it. Walmart should have the betadine as well. In the first aid section. Neosporin antibiotic cream can be applied three times a day as well.

Would wrapping it up help?

No, air is definitely better at this point. Wrapping would hold moisture in and make a warmer more moist environment for bacteria to grow.

Get an inner tube e-collar on her so she can not lick it and cause more damage. Not sure if you saw that part. It looks like she is licking it as well. You can buy e-collars at PetSmart to stop the licking. Measure the circumference around her neck to figure out what size she needs. The inner tube kind, that you put around the neck and blow up, would be more comfortable for her. You can also buy it online.

Could she still breast feed the pups? Or would it be better to bottle feed them? And the other leg isn't as bad as this one it's just very swollen what should I do for that one

Both legs are swollen? There is something really wrong. Now I am wondering if the blood flow to her hind legs is being compromised and causing swelling and pain. She really needs to get to a vet. Can you get the neighbors or someone to help you? Maybe animal control has a stretcher they can bring over and help you carry her. I know they have stretchers. Yes, start bottle feeding the puppies. There may be bacteria in her blood and milk. I am not sure about that though.

Where do you live? I can google for mobile vets. I'm on the computer ( obviously)

I'm in hawaii and I've tried calling the mobile vets but they dont answer

Okay, try them during business hours tomorrow. Or, even better, try to get some friend, neighbors, family, to help you carry her to the ER clinic right now. Did all of that make sense to you and help? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?