Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I went on a pretty lengthy hike with my 5 year old boxer mix…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I went...

Second opinion] I went on a pretty lengthy hike with my 5 year old boxer mix on Monday. We got home, he was fine (just very tired) that evening and the following morning, but when I got home from work on Tuesday, he was limping slightly on his front right paw. He still seemed in good spirits, wagging his tail to greet me and perking up when I offered supper or a treat. Since Tuesday, his limping has gotten worse and he's been extremely lethargic. He still eats and drinks, urinates and has bowel movements, but his nose is warm and he's breathing pretty heavy consistently this evening.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

His name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ryleigh?

He's a pretty healthy dog. He tends to have some skin irritation in the spring and summer, but it's nothing that is unmanageable.

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 23 days ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Regretfully, it's nigh impossible for me to assess the extent of injury from afar but I can tell you that his heavy breathing is likely to indicate quite a bit of pain associated with his lameness. It would be prudent to have his vet examine that leg and Ryleigh's neck as well as cervical (neck) myelopathies (spinal cord disorders) can manifest as front leg lameness - a "dorsal root signature sign".

As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily but isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. When giving acetaminophen for longer than 5 consecutive days it's best to reduce the dose to 5 mg per pound of body weight twice daily. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.