Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is about 10 - lethargic, not eating and drinking a lot…

Customer Question
She is about 10...

She is about 10 - lethargic, not eating and drinking a lot of water

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Nyia

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nyia?

She was throwing up bile yesterday with a lot of grass in it and just not herself. She is usually attached at my hip but was under my bed and wouldn't ever come out when called. Now she seems to be lying in front of water bowl drinking drinking drinking

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am talk to Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry to hear about your pet. I am working on a response and will be back shortly
there are many things I can cause lethargy and unusual behavior but the thing that concerns me the most is the excessive drinking. Anytime and older pet is drinking excessively we have to rule out things like kidney disease, diabetes, Cushing's disease and cancer. There are other diseases that can cause excessive drinking as well but these are the main diseases that we focus on. If she is lethargic and not eating and drinking excessively it will be very important for you to have her examined and have a blood panel completed in order for you to determine what the disease is and how she can be treated. If you continue to wait to have her examined she's going to get more lethargic and even though she is drinking excessively she may get dehydrated depending upon the disease process. Now there is a possibility that it may not be anything serious but it would be better to determine that by having an exam and blood work. Obviously we think of other things like infections, toxins and other things that can cause strange behavior and excessive drinking but given her age we want to focus on ruling out metabolic problems.
dr. Nicole
I apologize for the autocorrect as I am trying to get the information to you as quickly as possible. Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns. I cannot stress enough the importance of blood work. It tells us so much information in these pets and it is better to try to resolve this issue or get a diagnosis as soon as possible.
It’s so expensive
If you need any additional assistance please let me know. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for a week so please let me know how things are going. I do understand that it does get expensive. Sometimes there are smaller blood test that can be done instead of doing a large panel. Most veterinarians are willing to work with people and if you can at least get her in for an exam you can discuss the options.
If you provide me with her weight I can always give you the dose of Pepcid AC to see if it helps with her appetite. This can help with nausea and decreased appetite by calming the stomach a little bit. And you could start with that along with a bland diet and see how things are going. Just take it one day at a time.
You can purchase Pepcid AC it any pharmacy or grocery store.
Are you there?