Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Picked Min Schnauzer from kennel. before leaving kennel I…

Customer Question
Picked Min Schnauzer from...

Picked Min Schnauzer from kennel. before leaving kennel I was patting her and found a golf ball sized lump on the side of her neck. 2 inches above shoulder and 3 inches below ear. slighter swelling in 2 rolls on back of neck and skin under neck and down from golf ball is a little red and saggy. Vet checked her when I took her back in. said temp was 100.3. he gave her an antibiotic shot and said to watch her for possible insect bite infection. i can find no localized bite mark as from a spider or bee. she displays no pain at touch. I'm wondering if this could be the result of neck injury from cinch cord they use to take them out. Personnel claims neither of them say the knot on her neck when they took her out Mon. night & Tue. Morning. I picked her up Tue morning. there has been no improvement in size of swelling

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the Schnauzer can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Schnauzer's name?

Maggie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?

She is strong willed and only goes potty when she is ready unless I say "lets go inside Maggie"

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
just noticed sagginess under neck this afternoon
it has been longer than 8 min. do you have an answer yet??
5/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Will you please attach pictures or video of what you’re seeing? There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. If your files won’t load they may be too large for the site. You can also use FREE websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If, by chance, you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

I have no way to send a picture. There is nothing to see but a golf ball sized knot on the side of her neck as stated. can not see anything that looks like an insect bite or sting. she does not reject toughing it. She recently was groomed so I can move what hair there is on the knot and see her skin pretty well. I thought there might an injury that is bleeding (or did bleed) under the skin. there is no discoloration such as a bruise. I just cant imagine what could have happen that would cause a sudden swelling that large. i just was hoping to get a couple of guesses. such as injured ligament from leash being pulled, or insect bite that would not leave mark. There was nothing there when we left. 4 days later it was there. 2 different caregivers said they saw nothing evening before or 2 hrs. before I picked her up. Just thought of what could cause that in such a short time.
cant afford it. If it doesn't start improving I will have to take her to a vet. limited income. Sorry to have bothered you.I will cancel subscription. please do not charge my card and delete my information
I meant to say do not charge my card more then $5.00 already pd.