Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

It is loseing hair all around its tail and up its back it…

Customer Question
It is loseing hair...

It is loseing hair all around its tail and up its back it keeps bitting on its self

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Bella and is a pitbull / german shaperd 2 ywaes old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Bella?

2 yes old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?

She had 1 litter of puppys been fix 3 month ago I have 3 dogs total and they all have thr same thang I give then bath with skip-fle and tick soap and about aweek later I gave then bath with surgents fur so fresh oatmeal shampoo then a bout a week later dawn ultra the one with the duck on it and between the baths they keep bittingv them self

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 19 days ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your pups are miserably itchy despite your use of shampoos.

Allergies are the most common cause of itchy skin and can give dogs a skin crawling, all over itchy type effect which many dogs find irritating. I'll give you an allergy rundown of likely causes for skin troubles.

Given you have multiple dogs affected these seems most likely a contagious or environmental irritant.

Even if you don't see fleas I suspect they are behind their symptoms. Fleas tend to hang out around the tailhead and back legs so that would make sense with where they are itching. Flea bite allergy is the most common allergen and it only takes one bite a month to make an allergic dog scratch, so I recommend using consistent flea prevention even if you never see one again. Frontline Plus, Advantage II or Advantix are excellent as is the new Seresto Flea collar. I don't normally recommend flea collars, but this one really works and lasts for at least 6-8 months. Don’t use over the counter products, especially Hartz or Sargents, as most are ineffective if not toxic. Flea shampoos aren't very helpful as they tend to be very drying to their coat and skin, which will make the pup itchier, and they have no residual effect. Once your pup is out of the bath new fleas can hop right back on. And unfortunately even after the fleas are gone the allergic reaction can continue for weeks and I will discuss controlling that reaction below.

Other allergens can be inhaled (like grass pollen, dust mites or molds).

You can use a combination of antihistamines and high doses of omega-3 fatty acids to help with the symptoms of flea allergy and inhaled allergies. In combination fatty acids and antihistamines work synergistically, much better than either one alone. If her symptoms worsen seasonally I would think that inhaled allergens could be a part of the problem, although flea allergy tends to be more seasonal too.

You can try:

1)Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with acetaminophen or decongestants as they can be toxic for dogs) at 1mg to 2mg per pound of body weight or one 25mg capsule per 15 to 25 pounds of body weight orally every 8 hours.

OR 2)Claritin (loratidine) at 5mg per 25 pounds of body weight once or twice daily.

OR 3)Hydroxyzine at 1mg per pound of body weight orally every 8 hours.

OR 4) Chlorpheniramine at 4mg to 8mg per dog once or twice daily.

OR 5) Zyrtec (Cetirizine hydrochloride) at 1/2 mg per pound of body weight orally every 24 hours. That would be one 10mg tablet per 20 pounds of body weight. Make sure it is NOT the formulation with a decongestant (such as Zyrtec-D) because dogs cannot tolerate decongestants.

Some dogs do better on one antihistamine rather than another. Give the one you pick a week trial and if it isn't working try another. Be aware antihistamines can cause sleepiness or hyperactivity in some dogs. These side effects do wear off with repeated use.

Omega-3 fatty acids are fish oil products. 3V by DVM or Derm Caps ES are good brand name products. Use the high end of the dosing schedule for your pup's weight. I recommend a dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give her 20mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day. For example an 8 pound dog could take 160mg of EPA per day.

While flea shampoos are drying there are others that may help to soothe her skin. Cool water baths with an oatmeal shampoo or chlorhexiderm shampoo (which is antibacterial and antifungal) and a conditioner with an antihistamine may help. The water rinses off allergens and the cool temperature soothes itchy skin. Do not bathe her for 2 to 3 days before or after applying flea control products or the bath will interfere with the product's efficacy. You should follow up any shampoo with a conditioner to add moisture back to his coat and skin. There are some with skin protectants and antihistamines which can be very, very soothing (for example EpiSoothe Cream Rinse or Vitasone® Leave on Conditioner Hydrocortisone 1% )

If this is flea allergies you need to address your home too because only 5% of the flea population lives on your pets, the rest is in the environment.

You need to vaccuum your home throughly to remove as many eggs and larvae as possible. Concentrate on cracks and crevices, along baseboards, under furniture and areas where they like to sleep and eggs and larvae are at their highest numbers. Vacuum daily and throw away the bag.
You also need to use effective products on your pets as I directed above.
I also recommend treating the home environment with a product that has an adulticide (kills adult fleas) as well as an insect growth regulator to stop egg and larvae from developing. A great product is Siphotrol II Plus Premise spray. I like it because it has an insect growth regulator as well as an adulticide. You can spray it under furniture and into cracks crevices and along baseboards where fleas and their offspring hide. It should be used every 2 weeks and no vacuuming for 2 to 3 days after using it to allow it to settle in. Here is a link to show you the product: http://www.amazon.com/Siphotrol-Plus-Premise-Spray-16oz/dp/B000RGKX7M
The trouble with foggers is that they don't go under furniture or penetrate cracks and crevices so they just aren't effective where they need to be. And they end up in the air where they are nasal irritants for animals and people alike.
Your other option is to have a professional exterminator treat your home and outdoors. Ask for a guarantee and make sure that the products they use don't contain organophosphates and do have an adulticide and an insect growth regulator.
The key with flea treatment is consistency, not stopping too quickly, and using effective products.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
ok
they ich ans scrash and roll on there backs in the durt what about lice on dogs can i use lice medacine for people on dogs

Any itchy dog is likely to roll on their back to try to scratch their back. Some dogs learn to go under things and rub their back/tailbase on things too.

Lice is extremely rare in dogs.

Lice tend to be species specific, meaning dogs would get a different type of lice than people. There are two types of lice in dogs, sucking lice and chewing lice, and each one requires a different treatment. All of this means if we really think they may have lice they need to see their veterinarian and have he type of lice identified and the appropriate treatment prescribed.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 17 days ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 15 days ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pups. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****