Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just ate verbena. Is there anything I can give him to…

Customer Question
Hello, my dog just...

Hello, my dog just ate verbena. Is there anything I can give him to counter any toxicity? Thank you.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Clyde, boxer/lab cross, age 13-14

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Clyde?

He’s on treatment for liver disease and cushing’s. Also gabapentin for pain

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 21 days ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about your dogs and the verbena. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

To start with, can you please tell me what form of verbena this was and how much Clyde ate? We don't give additional things to counter any toxicity, but will try to decrease the absorption of the verbena if we anticipate a problem. That being said, we don't want to induce vomiting unless it's necessary

Does this help to answer your question for now? I want to be as helpful as possible.

Just type in what you want to say then click REPLY or SEND. I'll respond as quickly as I can.

PS: You may ignore any automated prompts for a phone call, if you wish, and we can keep chatting this way. Just type in what you want to say, then click REPLY or SEND. On the other hand, if you wish to make a phone call, I am available for that as well.

Thank you,

Dr. Jo

I see you are not currently online or available to reply. That is okay. We can continue our discussion when you return. In the meantime, I want to let you know that the verbena plant is not generally considered toxic for dogs. It may cause a mild stomach upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss), but those symptoms should be mild and go away without any medical treatment. Most dogs can eat a small amount of verbena without any problem.

Especially considering Clyde's other medical issues, it is NOT advisable to induce vomiting or take any other action at this time. If symptoms do end up developing and do not go away within 24 hours, you should seek medical care.

As long as this wasn't a large amount of a very concentrated source of verbena, everything should be fine.

I do hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have additional concerns. If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for chatting with you today.

Thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo

Just checking in to ask how Clyde is doing today.

Thank you,

Dr. Jo