Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 7 year old Boxer has a MCT - the tumor was removed in…

Customer Question
My 7 year old...

My 7 year old Boxer has a MCT - the tumor was removed in December 2017, but grew back. He is being treated with prednisone, and it seems to keep the mass on the top of his leg from growing. My question is, what is palladia? His MCT is level two.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Beau. We had a consultation with an oncologist and she prescribed the steroid and benedryl, but I don't want to go the chemo and radiation route.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Beau?

Other than the tumor, he is healthy, eats well, plays. He pants more due to the steroids.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 2 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 2 months ago

Did your oncologist discuss the use of Palladia with you?

No, she didn't mention it. I read about it online and wondered if it could help Beau. She sad his prognosis isn't good, but at the same time, he could go on awhile with the steroids.
Said, not sad. (but this is sad)
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 2 months ago

Ok. Palladia is a relatively new drug and it is used in the treatment of non resectable mast cell tumours. It is especially useful for masses in regions where they cannot be removed with good margins. It needs to be used constantly to keep the tumor at bay. It is not a cure and if the treatment is stopped, the tumor will come back/start growing again. It is VERY expensive medication and needs to be used constantly for the rest of Beau`s life. For this reason, costs are often the limiting factor in its use. It is indicated for grade 2 or grade 3 MCT, so Beau would be a candidate for it.

However, if you are seeing good response to the steroids initially, this is likely to be a much cheaper option long term.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 2 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Richard Rawling