Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 50lb dog MAY have ingested half of a 120 mg extended

Customer Question
Hi my 50lb dog...

Hi my 50lb dog MAY have ingested half of a 120 mg extended release generic sudafed capsule. Should I bring her to the vet or emesis induction?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Pearly (!) about 14 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pearly?

She is on Prozac 20mg and was refently dxed with hookworm so on meds for that and flagyl

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 22 days ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
ok
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 22 days ago

The active ingredients in sudafed can be toxic to dogs, so inducing emesis would be a good idea. How long ago did he have access to the medication?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
no thx
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I thought the reply was ready!
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 22 days ago

Vomiting can be induced at home by giving 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound.

You can give it via a dropper bottle, syringe or a turkey baster for example.
Once she has swallowed the peroxide encourage her to walk around to encourage mixing of her stomach contents.
You should see vomiting within 10 minutes.

After we have induced vomiting it would be wise to administer activated charcoal,
to try and minimise the uptake of any further medication from her digestive system.
It should be available from most pharmacies (ask for the high strength formula rather than the one for gas)
This can be mixed with food and fed at a dose of 1-4 grams per lb.
Her stool should turn black and at this point we know the charcoal has worked its way all along the digestive tract.