Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have 2 dogs in the house, a 3 yrs old female and her 1 yr…

Customer Question
Hi, I have 2...

Hi, I have 2 dogs in the house, a 3 yrs old female and her 1 yr old male She came on heat, and we found the male (her pup) mating her What can be done about this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

What can I do to solve this issue as I learnt that it’s improper for a dog to mate it’s close relative (mother)

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She doesn’t hurt

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Jane

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Okay
5/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Tom Crippen, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, my name is*****'m a vet in the UK and hopefully will be able to help. So yes i agree it is inappropriate from a health point of view - dogs who are close relatives who mate are much more likely to produce offspring who will be born with or develop serious medical problems. What can you do - in the short term if you are concerned the female is pregnant then your local veterinary surgeon may well be able to help. We have at our disposal some very good drugs which can stop a pregnancy, these drugs can be given anytime from conception - the later you leave them though the higher the likely hood of an actual abortion, given early this rarely happens, these drugs can have side effects and some risks but pregnancy isn't a benign process so there are also risks associated with this and a risk to the puppies if they have closely related parents. Long term you have a few options - there are hormonal options for both male and female dogs blocking their fertility for a given amount of time, these are usually in the form of implants or injections, these aren't without risk though. Separation is an option when the female is in heat, this can be very difficult to make absolutely sure a male doesn't have access to a female as they can be quite persistent. The third option is obviously neutering which would solve the issue.

I hope that has helped, any other questions get back to me. If I have helped please rate my answer.

Thanks, Tom

Can you recommend a drug I can give her to prevent the pregnancy? As this happened yesterday.... I learnt administering a deworming pill would help. How true is that?

Thanks, Tom

Hi, so no I am not aware of any deworming products that would have that effect. The only drugs we use in this situation are prescription only drugs which have been tried and tested for safety and effectiveness in this situation, the one most commonly used by us in the UK is a drug called Alizin, this is injectible and given by a vet. I'm not allowed to advise you to give a specific drug over the internet as it wold be illegal in my country for me to do that - safety reasons as I have not examined your dog. It is very unlikely for that reason a vet would give you an answer like that and rightly so as some drugs which can affect the hormones in dogs can be dangerous if used incorrectly.

Best wishes, Tom

Hi, would you like me to opt out to see if another vet can come in with an answer for you? I suspect the answer will be similar though.

Thanks, Tom

okay
Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sarah. i agree with Dr. Crippen's assessment.

First option (and best) is spay and neuter.

Second is drugs to abort and separation...but I guarantee this will happen again with this route.

Please let me know if I can help in any other way!

Kindly consider rating my answer 5 stars using the stars at the top of the page; I am not compensated for my time otherwise. You can always follow up with questions after rating.

I see that you were able to view my answer. Do you have any further questions?