Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just got involved with my son’s fiancés family’s dog broke…

Customer Question
I just got involved...

I just got involved with my son’s fiancés family’s dog broke it’s leg and due to the potential costs they were scheduling to put him to sleep tomorrow. I intervened and am adopting the dog immediately. I would like to know my options to get him the care he needs and for limit any long term pain. The dog is only 1 1/2 years old and I have the X-rays from the vet I could send you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Yeager

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Yeager?

He’s a healthy mastiff/Rot mix.

Submitted: 18 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Tom Crippen, Dog Veterinarian replied 18 days ago
Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, my name is*****'m a vet in the UK. hopefully I will be able to help. So I would be truthful from the start, this fracture is such it will not heal without surgery, hopefully the vet has discussed this with you. This is a severe comminuted spiral tibial fracture - surgery to fix this would be complex and expensive. It will require metal work and potentially external fixation but this is the decision of the orthopaedic surgeon carrying out the procedure. The only other option would be amputation - although an extreme option this is certainly worth considering if finances are an issue with regards ***** ***** the leg. Generally results are good, bigger dogs though can have more problems having 3 legs but they still usually do well in my experience. Longer term the other leg will have a lot of force going through it - the hips look ok but the right hip might be slightly shallow so arthritis longer term may be more likely especially if the fractured leg is amputated. I'm not sure but is this an open fracture? Did the bone penetrate the skin? Long term pain would be mitigated with surgery, welfare wise in the short term this dog needs strong opiate pain relief.

I hope that has answered your question, please don't hesitate to get back to me if there are any other questions.

If you feel I have helped at all please rate my answer.

Thanks a lot, Tom

Dog Veterinarian: Tom Crippen, Dog Veterinarian replied 17 days ago

Hi, how's he getting on? Thanks Tom