Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy started to shake as though he were shivering, then…

Customer Question
My puppy started to...

My puppy started to shake as though he were shivering, then barked once or twice at nothing. he kept shaking for the longest time and act as though someone were out to kill him, he just clung to me and was shaking so much he could barely walk. then after about 20-30 minutes he just started to flop like a fish, couldn't get on his feet no matter how hard he tried. He would get up and run, with great difficulty at some loud noises, and find a new place to lay on his side just floundering. He's not drolling a lot but what he is is very thick and sticky, almost like gel glue. He kept flopping around anywhere from a few second to abut a minute nad a half then would stop for maybe a minute and would start floundering again, he would also just throw his legs all out as straight as they could go and his entire body would go tense that happen 3 times I know of, the flondering lasted for about 3 hours total. He still can't stand and will once in a great while start to flounder again. he's breathing heavily, tounge hanging from his mouth and his eyes are moving about wildly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your puppy. What is the dog's name?

Vader

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Vader?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Vader, please? How old is he? You've described complex partial seizure also called psychomotor seizure) which is described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. (If consciousness is lost a general seizure (previously called gran mal) is diagnosed.) Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for this event and for just what you witnessed. Vader's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if he should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should Vader suffer another event within 24 hours of this one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. He would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

He is 5 months old. He still can't stand, he was able to get up on his front feet a bit around 4 am bt couldn't get his back feet under him and now this morning he is able to get his back feet under him with some work but not his front feet. He did finally eat and drink a bit for me around 3-3:30 am and is currently drinking a lot more. He can lift his head a bit more and more easily and he is wagging his tail. We did notice last night that the wihtes of his eyes were pink. He just got up on all fours, he was unsure on his feet but he walked 6-7 feet. Last night the thashing and what I would call seizure like symptoms lasted nearly three hours with short breaks of non thrashing but still shaking

Thank you for the good update. He appears to be in the post-ictal (post-seizure) stage at this time. This can last a few days but usually abates within 24 hours. In such a young dog, canine distemper, congenital (present at birth) brain defects, Neospora infection, and idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy need to be considered. It would be best to have Vader's vet take a look at him. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?