Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My beagle ate a plastic eye off her stuffed animal. Wennie…

Customer Question
My beagle ate a...

My beagle ate a plastic eye off her stuffed animal

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your beagle will be able to digest that. What is your beagle's name and age?

Wennie and she is 1

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wennie?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/31/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 19 days ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

2. Roughly how big is the plastic eye?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
About 20 minutes
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
About the size of a penny

Got it thanks, ***** ***** your answer ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Well, where this size of object was swallowed by an average sized adult Beagle the chances are that it will just pass harmlessly along her digestive tract.

2. There is, however, a very slight risk of intestinal tract obstruction so as this has just happened one of the best precautions open to you is to make Wennie sick immediately and try to recover the plastic eye that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then this may be possible. For the sake of speed, I will give you a link on how to do this best: LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However, if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case this could include vomiting, lethargy and loss of appetite as well as vague signs of abdominal discomfort. These symptoms could point to an alimentary tract obstruction but as I said this would be unlikely in your dog's case, but it is best you are aware.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Wennie's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Thank you, ***** *****

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 18 days ago

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Wennie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the plastic eye episode ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott