Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog just jumped off the couch, yipped and is unable to…

My dog just jumped...

My dog just jumped off the couch, yipped and is unable to put any weight on her front paw. Along with trying to elevate it and applying ice should I wrap it in a compression bandage and give her aspirin for pain? I’m a critical care nurse.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

My 20 lb York-ichon just jumped off the couch, yipped and is unable to use her front paw, should I use ice, elevation and compression the same as a human; and can I give her an analgesic like aspirin? If so what dose I have 81mg of aspirin in the house. I’ll bring her to my vet tomorrow morning if she’s not significantly better. You guessed it, I’m a nurse.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

No. She’s perfectly healthy, 6 Year’s old, Yorki-chon who is about 20 lbs

5/30/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

I would be happy to help you

I am one of the veterinarians authorized on this site to answer questions by text and/or phone

If you would like to just text then please ignore the phone call request from the site

I like what you have done so far

And yes you can give Aspirin at 10.0 mg/pound with food

We give it twice daily

Rest her and update me in the AM

Paul

Still there?

More questions?

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian