Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 5 month old labrador. One of his top includes is…

Customer Question
I have a 5...

I have a 5 month old labrador. One of his top includes is growing in crooked

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Is this something I should worry about and take him in for a vet visit?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He doesn't seem to be in any pain. I'm just wondering if it could cause problems layer Later

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/30/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that one of your fellow's upper teeth is growing in crooked/sideways.

It's hard to know how concerned we need to be, but any time a tooth doesn't erupt properly it not only affects that tooth but those around it as well as the teeth in the opposite jaw (in this case his lower jaw) too. That's because each tooth in a dog's mouth has a particular purpose (grabbing food, sawing food or chewing/grinding food in his mouth). If one tooth is misdirected it places pressure on the teeth around it and by not meeting correctly with the tooth (teeth) in the lower jaw those teeth may not grow in correctly either.

An improperly erupted tooth may dig into the gums, and due to torque or pressure, may cause the whole jaw to grow improperly. This seems to be most pronounced with improper canine tooth alignment, but it can be an issue with any tooth depending upon how off it is.

In short I believe an exam with his regular veterinarian and maybe a referral to a veterinary dentist may be needed. It may be fine to take a watch and see approach, but it's best to catch more critical issues early on.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****