Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 15yr old russel is always hungry she is walk at least…

Customer Question
my 15yr old jack russel...
my 15yr old jack russel is always hungry she is walk at least twice a day and looks well
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/30/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 25 days ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. Kevin, is your dog also drinking excessively and forming more urine than usual?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
no

The usual culprits for polyphagia (increased hunger) are diabetes mellitus, Cushing's disease (hyperadrenocorticism), and hyperthyroidism. Less commonly, maldigestion in the form of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (a lack of digestive enzymes produced by the pancreas) and malabsorption syndromes (inefficient absorption of digested food) are responsible. Rarely, a brain tumor in the hypothalamus (appetite center) is present. We expect to see polydipsia (increased thirst) with diabetes mellitus, Cushing's disease, and hyperthyroidism and so if any of these are present, you're seeing an atypical presentation of them.

How is her weight - stable, decreasing, or increasing?