Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We rescued a female german Shepherd a month ago. Found her…

Customer Question
Hello...

Hello we rescued a female german Shepherd a month ago. Found her scared and shaking curled up on a neighbors side yard. When we first brought her home she stayed outside for a while then let her in a few weeks later and she refused to go back outside. We had to put her outside but she would cling to the outside of the door shaking. We have a 300 sf trailer and already had a great dane so...im just wondering y she suddenly has a prob being outside?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

She had no collar or tags, we haven't named her. Also we found hrr with a shoe string tied on her neck loose and not sure how old, is there a way to tell? It appears she has had pups i guess vuz her niplles are big

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Any time she gets a chance, she has to jump inbthe back of our truck, she just sits up against the cab window behind the driver. As if she wanted to go sonewhere? She is lying next to me now trying to sleep and her breathing is heavy then it gets calmer then heavy again. Shes laying down

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/30/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 2 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello, I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed.

Have you taken her to a Vet for exam?

Are any of the mammary glands abnormally swollen?

Is she eating and drinking normally?

No, we cant afford that. Nor can we afford to keep her much longer. When we found her, were were sure she mustve lived somewhere closeby. We've had her for a month now, weve posted her pic online everywhere and talked to neighbors. We've gone thru twice as much dog food as usual since she got here. We don't believe in caging animals in the pound or a kennel. If her health is at risk, tho, she may be better off at a rescue where they may be able to treat her. She pants fast and shallow as tho she's thirsty. T takes her 1hr to relax and we have to be giving her or undivided attention the whole time or she will stay restless. her otherwise she keeps She always has access to water, she drinks more then our dog. Healthy appetite

Thank you for that information. It is likely there is some stress on her part which would account for part of what you are seeing. However Nursing Mothers can develop a deadly infection in the mamary glands called pyometra so that is something to keep in consideration. I would try to find a rescue to take her and get a health check. Parasites and protazoa are also worries in a stray dog with no Vet care.

The most you can do at home is take her vital signs and see if they are alright which will tell you she may be fine at the time, but you won't know if there is a parasite or protazoa inside her that is doing harm.

She may have a nervous personality to begin with and more of that is coming out in strange surroundings, but she needs a health check as well.

What is Normal in dogs taking the vital signs

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Ok thank you.
I noticed that there are lumps behind the ears. Are they inflamed sinuses? Her nasal passages were swollen once but the lumps behind ears persist.Can u please recommend ways to treats to help inflammed sinuses at home ans what to do about dog allergies

We don't know what the lumps are. Without a history it's hard to know what you are trying to treat. If the lumps are fastened to the bone then it can be severe. If they are movable then it can be infection or something that needs draining.

for allergies Benadryl can be given.

Benadryl http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl