Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I got a Chihuahua a few months ago when we first got him he…

Customer Question
Hi, I got a...

Hi, I got a Chihuahua a few months ago when we first got him he was 5 months old and the lady we got him from gave us a bunch of special foods for him because he has a very sensitive stomach and said that when he gets an upset tummy he acts lethargic and we have too hand feed him his digestional food . and he’s 7 months old now and when I got him he didn’t seem right so we took him to the vet and she said he’s Partially blind and he might have cerebellar hypoplasia but we can’t know for sure unless he gets a cat scan and we couldn’t afford one. We called the old owner and asked her what’s wrong with him and she asked us if we dropped him on his head and said that he was fine before. Anyways he runs into walls and has walked in circles ever since we got him, he’s super skinny and has always had trouble eating. About a week and a half ago he would start foaming from the mouth and it looked like he was having seizures off and on
Sometimes 10 times a day and about 4 days ago he started foaming from the mouth and was shaking and his head was switching crazy and he couldn’t walk for an entire 24 hours and has been slowly getting better the past two days and has slowly been walking around but very slowly and we can’t get him too eat or anything
We have to blend is food with water and use a syringe to get him too eat and drink and most of it still falls out of his mouth
He’s already is very very skinny and has been since we got him.. ever since he was having those what we think were seizures he hasn’t been the same and it’s like he’s not there anymore and we are poor and can’t take him to the vet until we get payed in a few days

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Chappy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chappy?

I think that’s everything

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/30/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 25 days ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Im giving him some water through a syringe right now

Are you seeing any vomiting or diarrhea?

Have any diagnostics been performed thus far such as bloodwork?

Has he always required syringe feeding?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No vomiting or diarrhea and No blood work has been preformed and and no he’s only needed to be syringe fed since after he had those seizures

I honestly believe that Chappy needs to have diagnostics performed. There's a very strong potential with him getting thinner and thinner and these seizures occurring that he could pass away in spite of your efforts at home. Additionally, there are medications available to help with seizure activity even if your vet believes this might be due to an abnormality in the brain. Based on the info you've shared I do think that your vet is eventually going to start having a discussion with you of quality vs. quantity of life. If Chappy is having to be pampered through each day and there's little to no potential of him improving it may be kinder to consider humane euthanasia. If you have not already looked into financial aid options to potentially cover the cost of expensive diagnostics, I'd also take this route: https://lessonsfromaparalyzeddog.com/when-pet-owners-cant-afford-veterinary-bills/

Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 24 days ago

A pleasant good morning to you, JACustomer. Checking in with you today to see how your companion is doing. Will you provide me with an update and any additional questions you might have? If you are finished with our chat and do not need any additional help, please take the time to rate our discussion before signing off. I am not compensated by the website until this is completed.