Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I was cleaning my pups paws and noticed that some padding on…

Customer Question
I was cleaning my...

I was cleaning my pups paws and noticed that some padding on his paws are torn

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your pup?

He hasn’t been limping, wining or licking them so I didn’t notice until just now. We even were just at the park and he was his normal self.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No bleeding or anything just peeling

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your pup's name and age?

Bowser, he’s 9 months.

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/30/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 22 days ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I'm sorry to hear that Bowser has these areas on his pads. They may become more painful in the next few days so please monitor closely for lameness, chewing, discharge and restriction is key the first week to allow healing. Once healing has occurred (that the dead or dying parts of the pads are sloughed) then begin shorter walks on grass moving up to walks on cement. Just like callus on our hands, the pads need to redevelop a harder exterior and this might take a little bit of time to form

But the soreness maybe in the next 2-3 days so monitor for that licking and please prevent if you are able. This can occur on hot pavement or a hot surface or running hard on a gravel surface as well and sliding across

I hope this makes sense, prevention is restriction and please no ointments/ salves which is going to keep the areas soft and slow healing. You can use socks if needed to allow him to leave them alone if/ when he tries to lick

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today, I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!