Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is now 29 days pregnant or should I say might be

Customer Question
Hi there my dog...

Hi there my dog is now 29 days pregnant or should I say might be pregnant we will have an a ultrasound on the 1st but today we noticed brown discharge is this normal?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

If she is pregnant this will be her first pregnancy

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/30/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 24 days ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

A brown discharge may represent degraded blood from when she was in proestrus/estrus or perhaps the more creamy-looking discharge seen in late estrus/diestrus. The worrisome colors are red, green, or black which indicate premature separation of the placental sites. Let her vet know what you've seen. It's a simple matter to scope her vagina at the time of her being ultrasounded. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.