Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She was just groomed and her back legs are extremely

Customer Question
She was just groomed...

She was just groomed and her back legs are extremely tremulous. She’s a 9 yo standard poodle in excellent health. Could she be dehydrated? Need sugar? I have given molasses to my other poodles, will this help?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Stella...she’s drank water when she got home

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stella?

This never happened before

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/29/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Stella. Rather than dehydration or hypoglycemia - neither of which I would expect in an otherwise normal dog prior to being groomed - musculoskeletal pain in her back or hips should be considered as she was asked to stand for a prolonged period of time to be groomed. All 9 year old large breed dogs are assumed to suffer from some degree of age-related osteoarthritis. I would see how one of (or both of) the safe over the counter analgesics affected Stella: As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily but isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. When giving acetaminophen for longer than 5 consecutive days it's best to reduce the dose to 5 mg per pound of body weight twice daily. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

If the tremulousness ceases perhaps it’s related to fatigue or absence of food...is this a possible consideration?

Fatigue from standing too long, yes; lack of food would be an unlikely cause of those tremors. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?