Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been vomiting on and off since yesterday morning.

Customer Question
My dog has been...

My dog has been vomiting on and off since yesterday morning. We withheld food yesterday and gave him some chicken and rice this morning but did not keep that down.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

I don't think so, he chews on sticks all the time and has been fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is your dog's name and age?

Milo 17 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Milo?

He is acting normal, running around, playing with our other dog.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/29/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

1. Is he vomiting everything he eats?
  2. Is he able to keep water down?
  3. How have his stools been?
  4. Is he fully vaccinated?
  5. Any change in food or treats?
  6. Do you have other dogs, and if so how are they?

He is likely dehydrated because he is vomiting, but if even water is making him vomit you need to take it away from him for now.

In most cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.

More serious causes of vomiting in young dogs include viral or bacterial infections, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, congenital internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), or a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction from eating foreign material. Even though he has eaten sticks before with no problem that does not mean that he didn't swallow too big a piece and caused an obstruction or a perforation.

In a young dog, especially one that hasn't finished his vaccine series, a viral infection such as parvo virus or a foreign body leading to a partial or full gastrointestinal obstruction would be the most likely cause and both can be deadly. Not all dogs with viral infections run a fever initially, sometimes they are too weak to mount a fever response. Worms can cause loose stools, but rarely cause vomiting and lethargy.

Because he is young, this has been going on for more than a day, ideally he would see a veterinarian now. Dogs that cannot keep anything down dehydrate easily and he needs fluids.

If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but we cannot replace in clinic intravenous fluids and injectable medications so if he isn't responding quickly he should see a veterinarian promptly.

To try and settle his stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and either one may help him feel less nauseous and hopefully stop the vomiting. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow his stomach to settle after the acid reducers.

In a couple hours when you give him water make sure it is in small amounts only. If he drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer her a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.

If there is no vomiting for 24 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get additional fluids into him. If he vomits again he needs hands on veterinary care as soon as possible.

But if things go well and he does eat the bland diet and doesn't vomit feed him the bland diet for 3 to 4 days then slowly start to mix back in his regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert him back to his regular diet.

If he continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower than normal temperature (less than 99F), has a tense painful belly, or if he refuses to eat even after the acid reducer is given he should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs, intravenous fluids and supportive care.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

every thing he eats he vomits. He seems to be keeping water down. His stools are alittle less solid. He is fully vaccinated and just had his yearly shots last week. No change to food. My other dog is fine.

Thank you for the further information.

Given that he seems to feel fine, no change in diet, your other dog is fine, yet he cannot keep any solids down, a partial or full obstruction would be high on my list of possible causes.

You can try a 24 hour food fast and giving an acid reducer and see if that stops his vomiting, but it sound like he needs as exam and some testing to look for an obstruction.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****