Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Just recently Purchased an 7 week old bulldog from a

Customer Question
Hi Just recently Purchased...

Hi Just recently Purchased an 7 week old bulldog from a breeder. He isnt quite ready to come home just yet. I received a call this morning saying the puppy got sunburnt pretty badly. He took him to the vet they have him on antibiotics and skin creams. I wanted to know if this going to cause permanent Damage. Such as hair loss in burnt areas?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Burns are certainly painful. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the Bulldog's name?

His name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Koa?

That all!

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/29/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Leah Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 22 days ago
Dr. Leah Hill
Dr. Leah Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr Hill. Is he a white bulldog?

what a cutie. Because the nose is not all black-the white non pigmented areas can get sunburned and the areas that are white coat. It is unusual for a puppy to get that sunburned though-was the dog in direct sunlight for a long time? I would want to see photos of the pup to give you more information. Dogs with white coats and depigmented noses are more susceptible to skin cancers as they get older if they are in the sun frequently. Sometimes we actually tattoo the nose to help prevent chronic sun burns and cancers in the future. It is strange that he already has a sunburn that is why I would want to see a photo of him and make sure nothing else is going on-is that possible? We always recommend these guys mostly stay inside. I worry more about dogs that are all white-its good his ears are brown. There are sunscreens that help, but its hard to apply to the nose because they usually lick them right off

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Leah Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 21 days ago

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions let me know and I will help you however I can. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is really appreciated as as I strive to give you the best information I can. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You are still able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.