Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Bichon has been throwing up for the last 3 days and not…

Customer Question
My Bichon has been...

My Bichon has been throwing up for the last 3 days and not eating.v

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that we are aware of. She is drinking more water than normal and very lethargic. She is 9 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Gigi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gigi?

Eats just about every thing in sight. She is overweight.seems much worse this morning. Normally sleeps through the night but last night woke me up twice Togo to the bathroom as well as getting sick onthecouch rug and floor

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 20 days ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Okay
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
No cell phone. Please continue via text

I am sorry to hear that Gigi is drinking and urinating a significant amount more then usual, is very lethargic and is vomiting and refusing to eat.

Is she spayed?

I understand that she is overweight in general but did she seem to be losing weight even with a good appetite before she started vomiting?

A normal dog will take in 1 to 2 ounces of water per pound of body weight in a 24 hour period. So a 15 pound dog will need to take 15 to 30 ounces of fluids in a 24 hour day (2 to 4 eight ounce cups). They drink more when eating dry food and less with canned because canned is primarily water.

I would be concerned about internal organ disease (especially kidney disease, but liver disease is possible too) or an infection, especially in her reproductive urinary tract (if she is not spayed a uterine infection/pyometra would be a concern) as well as ketoacidotic diabetes or some types of cancer that cause increased water consumption and thus increased urination.

Her loss of appetite can be due to increased organ waste causing gastrointestinal irritation or by products of an infection suppressing her appetite or a mass taking up abdominal space and putting pressure on her stomach and intestines such that she doesn't want to eat.

I highly recommend that Gigi see her veterinarian for an examination, complete blood count and biochemistry profile as well as a urinalysis and maybe abdominal radiographs or an ultrasound to diagnose her condition.

Given her symptoms and how long this has persisted I recommend that she been seen as soon as possible as at this point I believe she is critically ill.

Normally I like to give options for home therapy, but with a dog that is vomiting that much anything we give orally cannot work because she is likely to vomit it before it can be digested and absorbed.

If your regular veterinarian is beyond your means financially now your other option is to contact your local shelter or humane society and see if they run a low cost clinic or know of one in your area.

If not here is a web-page that lists some that may be able to help:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html?credit=web_id91754962#Assistance_by_state

Other sources of help can be found here: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 17 days ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****