Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She collapses but conscious. She gets up after few minutes…

Customer Question
She collapses but conscious...

She collapses but conscious . She gets up after few minutes but needs help to get up.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Cayenne and she’s 13 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cayenne?

She had tumor removed from her paw six months ago and healed already. She started acting lethargic about 2 days ago

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
She wants to go outside to pee and poop but she gets weak and lays down even before doing so
She’s not eating much. Just few pieces of dog biscuits and water.
5/29/2018
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 2 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

At 13 years of age it could be many things that might cause your dogs symptoms. Your dog may have experienced a seizure even though there was no drooling or shaking. Seizures can manifest in many different ways. You can read about seizures and the different kinds here:

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/site_map.htm

A dog may also "faint" in which they fall to the ground usually on their side, stare straight ahead and seem paralyzed which indicates a heart problem.. This is called syncopy and can be read about here:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/syncope-in-dogs/

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WALTHAMOSU2002&PID=2992

In addition, organ failure can lead a dog to collapse and be uncoordinated, collapse and have a loss of appetite as well.

I would have your dog seen by your vet as soon as possible and limit your dog's activity until she can be seen in case it is heart related and not seizure related. If you have a video camera, and this happens again, taping the behavior will help your vet determine the cause.

closing4

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Sadly, my dog passed away from her illness.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I do suspect it was heart related. I know nothing really helps in a time like this and a lot of people just do not understand our attachment to our beloved pets. Perhaps the following site may help a bit.

http://www.petloss.com

I do want to offer you my condolences.