Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog yelped in pain outside and we’ve found a small dark…

Customer Question
Hello my dog yelped...

Hello my dog yelped in pain outside and we’ve found a small dark brownish on the left side of her mouth

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

Bella she’s about 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?

No she’s prettt healthy otherwise

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
There is no immediate swelling but she does seem very tired and is shaking occasionally
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The bite is still oozing little bits of blood
5/29/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 27 days ago
Drhollowayvet

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I have been practicing for the past 6+ years and can offer my help with your pet concerns. Please give me one moment to type up my response and I will be right with you.

- Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 27 days ago

I understand your pet Bella may have been bitten by a creature outside. Poor girl. : ( Are snakes common in your area?

How long ago did this happen?

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I meant to put in the original message that there is a small dark brownish bite on her mouth
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
unfortunately we live near the woods
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 27 days ago

Ok. Do you have a photo of the bite? Is it visible in a photo?

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Let me know if you need a better picture
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 27 days ago

Oh I do see that area. It does seem to be wheeping a bit.

She is letting you touch this area ok? No severe pain or swelling right?

How long ago did this happen?

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
She usually gets frustrated when we try to grab her face
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
We’re having trouble telling if her face is swollen or not and she really just seems tired wanting to go lie down
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
We’re going on about an hour now
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 27 days ago

Ok. You can post a picture of her face straight on so that I can see if everything is symmetrical if you care having a hard time telling if anything is swollen or not.

- Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 27 days ago

Typically poisonous snake bites are followed by immense pain within 15 minutes of the bite, as well as intense swelling. So I doubt this was a poisonous creature or snake, so that is one good piece of news.

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
She’s squinting a lot seems really tired. It also seems like she doesn’t want us to bother her.
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 27 days ago

Ok. Thank you. Her head is turned a bit to the left, making the right side of her muzzle appear a bit swollen. I would proceed with giving her a dose of Benadryl tonight and monitoring her for the next hour or so. If things progress and the swelling gets worse, then she should seek medical attention tonight for stronger medication to reduce the swelling quickly and check her vitals.

The dosage for Benadryl is 1mg per lb once every 8-12 hrs by mouth. Poor girl. : (

- Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 27 days ago

If there is 1 puncture wound then this likely was something else. Maybe even a scorpion sting. Those can take longer to swell.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I really appreciate your help Doctor thank you so much. We were really scared.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
If it should end up being a scorpion would Benadryl still be the best route?
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 27 days ago

Benadryl can help somewhat. Each pet reacts differently to scorpion bites. Some respond well to Benadryl, but there are a good number of pets who need a steroid shot with a scorpion bite. You can also place a cold compress ( a bag of frozen peas works) on the area for 5-10 minutes if she tolerates it.

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
If she weighs about 55lbs how much of dose of Benadryl should that be?
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 27 days ago

Hello this is Dr. H again. I was unable to respond to your response b/c I think you may have accidentally opted me out of the question. Were you able to get a good Benadryl dosage for Bella? How is she doing this morning?

THe dosage is 1mg per lb once every 8-12 hrs. So for a 55 lb dog that is 1 - 50mg tablet or 2 - 25 mg tablets.

- Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 27 days ago

If the information was helpful to you and your pet I would ask that you please just leave me a rating for the service I have provided. This is only way that I am credited with taking the time to assist you'll today. Thank you so much for leaving a 4 or 5 star rating today by clicking on the rating tab right here on the page. THank you for your valuable feedback and have a wonderful rest of your day. I hope that Bella is doing well.

- Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 26 days ago

Hi. This is Dr. H checking in again on your pet Bella. Our chat is still open b/c you haven't yet left me a rating on my service. Feel free to do so now. How are things with Bella?

- Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 23 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Drhollowayvet