Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my dog has some of the same problems that Blanch…

Customer Question
Hi. I think my...

Hi. I think my dog has some of the same problems that Blanch has. She is a Golden retriever about 6 1/2 . A month ago she was diagnosed with bladder cancer and she has a receding hairline on her nose. She also has a few dry skin patxhes on her front legs and back legs and she is overweight. Is there something else going on here that my vet should have picked up on?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Lily

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lily?

No, that’s it

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/29/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 27 days ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you

Can you upload a photo(s) of Lily's nose to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Mild alopecia on the bridge of the nose may be an early lesion of hypothyroidism which is consistent with obesity and skin changes as you've described. Seborrhea (a disorder of skin maturation and keratinization/keratin is a structural protein in skin), bacterial and yeast infections are common with hypothyroidism.

Thank you. That's certainly consistent with hypothyroidism. Testing isn't straightforward because her cancer is going to falsely decrease her T4 (total thyroid blood test). Testing should also include the fT4 (free T4) which is less affected by other disorders in the body. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Okay, should we get her tested?

It's not essential as hypothyroidism isn't usually life-threatening. I understand that her cancer is the primary concern at this time. Her quality of life may improve if needed supplementation of thyroid hormone is provided, however.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 24 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?