Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My chiweenie won't stick up for himself with my daughter' 6…

Customer Question
My chiweenie won't stick...

My chiweenie won't stick up for himself with my daughter' 6 month old Beagle. The Beagle bites his ears and he won't growl at him. He just tries to get away from him. This goes on whenever we're together. I'm afraid to leave my chiweenie at her house for fear the Beagle will really hurt him if no one is watching. Is there a way to train my chiweenie to defend himself?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Dog Trainer can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about the dog?

My chiweenie is 1 year old neutered male and the Beagle is 6 months old not neurtered. My chiweenie really doesn't like other dogs just ignores them for the most part. Never offers to fight or anything but loves all people and is very easy going. The Beagle is very assertive and wants to play with all dogs and if they don't he barks at them and pesters them and some will play and many get irritated at him. He likes people and is very friendly.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 26 days ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

there really is no way to train them to defend themselves. Like people, dogs have their own personalities and there are those that just don't like confrontation. Actually what you are describing is not unusual for an adult dog and a puppy interaction.

The best bet is to keep them separated as you are correct, your dog could get hurt if the puppy is bigger. Keep in mind that puppies do not yet have much impulse control but if your daughter could invest in mind stimulating toys for the puppy , it is much more likely that the puppy would not only learn some impulse control, but would focus on that rather than your dog.

Do you know if the puppy is in any type of obedience training?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
no, the puppy is not in training but my daughter works with him for control. Yes, her puppy weighs about 24 lbs and Rocky is 11 lbs

What I would do is begin obedience training as this can help with impulse control.

This can easily be done at home, no special classes required.

Your breed is prone to back issues and that is what I would worry about if this puppy got too rough.

I am going to direct you to a link to start clicker training in obedience. One good command to get down is Leave it so this can be used if the puppy is going for anything your daughter does not approve of, including chasing cars. It is a very effective command when taught to 100%

Please hold on while I get you some links

Clicker training/positive method training/ print off

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

video’s to see how clicker training is done,(go to videos )

http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

Zac George -loading the clicker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPDOrEEsAJ8

Dog Puzzles. If you just type in dog puzzles on amazon you will come to a page full. I just happened to pick this one . PetCo also carries dog puzzles.

http://www.amazon.com/Company-Animals-Ottosson-Brick-Interactive/dp/B001KZ4WJE/ref=sr_1_23?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1393982918&sr=1-23&keywords=dog+puzzles+for+large+dogs