Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I fed them a small amount of tuna with ranch dressing in it.

I fed them a...

I fed them a small amount of tuna with ranch dressing in it. I didn't realize that ranch dressing had toxic ingredients. Will thE dogs die?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the dog ate?

Tuna with ranch dressing

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

One is a pure bred border terrier and the other two are mixed

5/28/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am unable to make phone calls, so if that is what you want, let me know, and I can opt out to allow another expert who can make calls to take over. I wouldn't be too concerned. Onion and garlic ingredients are the biggest concerns, but they would most likely have to eat a lot more than that to be concerned with it. I would monitor for any vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, painful abdomen or weakness/lethargy. If you see multiple episodes of vomiting, diarrhea longer than 48 hours, bloody stool, pale gums, weakness/lethargy, painful abdomen, restlessness or lack of appetite for more than 24 hours, I would get them in to be seen. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT AT THE TOP RIGHT CORNER. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation (rating me now does not close your question). If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

at this point should I just monitor them?

I would. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Can another vet call?

Hello. I was just following up to see how your dogs were doing and to see if you have any other questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The dogs are doing well. Thank you for you're advice. It was a very frightening situation. I learned a valuable lesson. Love those dogs so much.

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have any other concerns.