Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck…

Customer Question
My dog is gagging...

My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is your dog's name and age?

Lucky 10 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucky?

He has some other health issues but I don't think they are related to this one

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 21 days ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- What breed is Lucky?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Is he on any medications?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
on and off for about a month. Lucky is a Lab and isn't on any meds at this time. He has had problems with his paws (licking them, infections) and his elbows (calluses). Several surgeries for fox tails and eating a golf ball.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, a chronic hacking/gagging cough can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are an infection, airway disorders (collapsing trachea, laryngeal paralysis), or even heart and lung disease, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that it is intermittent and being on and off for a month I would place an airway disorder high on the list of possible causes. To determine the exact underlying the first place to start is a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian. In the meantime, you can give him Robitussin DM (cough) 1 teaspoon every 6-8 hours. You can buy Robitussin DM over the counter in any pharmacy. Do Not buy sugar-free.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian