Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 70lb. English bulldog ate a 200mg. Ibuprofen is this

Customer Question
My 70lb. English bulldog...

My 70lb. English bulldog ate a 200mg. Ibuprofen is this dangerous?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Paulie and she is six years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Paulie?

No, she did eat right before she ate the pill

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am unable to make phone calls, so if that is what you want, let me know, and I can opt out to allow another expert who can make calls to take over. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long ago did she ingest this?

Any symptoms of illness yet?

Not sure if you were still needing help, but I wanted to give you a little information. Unless she has pre-existing liver or kidney problems, chances are she will be fine. A single small overdosage will probably not cause any problems. There were studies where dogs ingested a little more than the dosage she ingested once daily for 30 days with no clinical problems but had evidence of stomach ulcers on necropsy. She would most likely have to ingest around 800 mg in a single sitting to have a concern about stomach ulceration and 5500 mg in a single sitting to worry about acute renal failure (lesser doses given regularly can also cause problems). Like I said, all dogs are different, so those aren't firm dosages, especially if she already has pre-existing problems. If not, she will most likely be okay. If the ingestion was less than an hour ago, you can always try to induce vomiting with 75 mls (5 tablespoons or 2.5 ounces) of 3% hydrogen peroxide given orally to play it on the safe side. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT AT THE TOP RIGHT CORNER. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation (rating me now does not close your question). If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Paulie is doing and to see if you have any other questions.