Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have an adorable rescue dog who had been said to be part…

Customer Question
We have an adorable...

We have an adorable rescue dog who had been said to be part "redbone coon hound". we have had him about ten years and during that time he has not displayed any symptoms similar to what he is displaying tonight. i glanced over at him as i was doing a task and he was in the 'downward dog' yoga position. he frequently assumes this position as the beginning of a long stretch but this time he just let go of his back legs and lay down looking very morose. he has not had his usual zip today at all - showing practically no interest in his breakfast and refusing his dinner. we have a large 'pasture' i.e. open space - behind our home and the dogs ( 2 others) usually get taken 2 or 3 times for long romps there. however with this monsoon weather we've had the past month the pasture is a puddle . we took the dogs to a dog park yesterday and some young girls 'took to' kava. they walked him a long time and then ran themselves which encouraged him to run. could he have strained a muscle? what can happen if a dog 'over does' in a situation like that? as an aside his owner - my son - who adores him has had an emergency appendectomy this weekend and has been gone for over 24 hours. could this be a sympathy reaction? something tells me it is more physical than that. he went to the back door indicating he wanted to go out to the porch. i let him out and he immediately assumed the 'downward dog' position again and held it for a very long time before lying down. what do you think? thank you. ellen granum

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Kava - it is an indonesian drink used on special occasions. it is not just lethargy - this strange position is part of it. is he trying to relieve some pain?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Not that i can think of.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Kava. Dogs will take this "prayer pose" sometimes when there is internal pain, such as pancreatitis, or other painful internal organ.

Is he eating normally? Any vomiting?

i think the vet i had yesterday was dr. kara? i just need to read the response from last night.

Do you want me to opt out, and continue with Dr. Kara?

no i just want to see the response she sent last night.

You need to go to that question. You should be able to find it, if you go to My Questions on the website.

This might be a link to it:

https://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/a7cc482aa1c04e5483d2715e8e2e9f82