Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy, a 75 pound 7 month old mastiff, ate a yeast

Customer Question
My puppy, a 75...

My puppy, a 75 pound 7 month old mastiff, ate a yeast concoction from a fly bait trap. I was outside but she ate up to about 2 cups but I doubt that much.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Minnie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your puppy?

She is healthy otherwise with no issues

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 28 days ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Fly bait traps rarely contain insecticides instead killing the fly by entrapping it. Toxicity, then, isn't a consideration but as with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise. Can you clarify what the ingredients of the "yeast concoction" were?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
no it is a yeast attractant in a solar fly trap bait that she ate two of
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
yeast packet is mixed with granual packet, than water is added and it is placed in the solar fly trap

Thank you. This nontoxic attractant is ideal for areas frequented by animals who might ingest it. The most I would expect in Minnie is transient gastrointestinal distress that wouldn't need to be addressed. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 26 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?