Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog went swimming yesterday and kept drinking the pool…

Customer Question
My dog went swimming...

My dog went swimming yesterday and kept drinking the pool water. He was up all night having diarrhea, with regurgitation from trying to eat the diarrhea. The vet is closed today. He's acting normal- still wants to eat and drink.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

Ace- 5 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Ace

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

No He does have a very sensitive stomach.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 2 months ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 UC Davis graduate. I am reviewing your question, and will respond within the next few minutes.

I am very concerned that Ace is trying to regurgitate or vomit. He could accidentally aspirate and get stomach fluid in to his lungs.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets. (due to extended release tablets, this is not always a good choice since it can take over 24 hours before its of any benefit)
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

The pepto is the only one above that would also help the diarrhea.

But, considering the severity of symptoms, I strongly suggest getting to an ER vet for much better medication. I can't say with any certainty that symptoms won't get worse.

Hope that information helps

If I have not fully answered your question, please let me know. I greatly appreciate when you select a feedback rating to close the question for me. Thanks

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?