Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He was playing with a bag that had new sandals in it and the…

Customer Question
He was playing with...

He was playing with a bag that had new sandals in it and the rubber band that comes on the shoes my dog got tangled around his foot and I’m not sure how long it was on there but now his foot is swollen and hurts to touch. I am not certain how long his circulation was cut off it was less that 24 hours. I noticed it when I got off work.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

No bleeding

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Jax he is 5 1/2 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jax?

No. He’s a very healthy dog. He’s our special little guy a rescue and I’m just beside myself this has happened to him

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 26 days ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear Jax got a rubber band around his foot.

Is he putting weight on the foot, or limping or dragging it?

Is the foot warmer or cooler than the other feet?

If the foot is warm, and he will walk on it, that is a good sign. Hydrotherapy and massage can help restore circulation.

It actually is a good sign the foot hurts; it means he can feel it.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Oh good. So if I just work with it you think in a couple datebook or so it will be ok?

You didn't tell me yet if he is walking on the leg, or limping or dragging it. Does the foot feel warmer or cooler than the other feet?

The answers to those questions will help tell me if he will get better on his own or if he needs to see your veterinarian.

If the foot is colder than the other, that is not a good sign. If he drags it rather than walks on it, that is not a good sign.

If the foot is warm and he is walking on it, it should get better.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
He is limping on it, it was cold to touch an hour ago but it is no longer cold. He will not put weight on it and when I touch it he cries

It is good it is feeling less cold. It is good he can feel it.

Likely the swelling will go down in a day or so and he will be OK. If you want to know more, I would have him examined by your veterinarian. How long ago did you take the rubber band off?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I got home from work at 8:45 so it’s been off for about an hour

If it has only been a hour, and circulation is starting back into the foot (feeling less cool) that is a good sign.

If it feels warmer and warmer, if his toes are pink not pale or blue, that is a good sign.

Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 25 days ago

How is he doing? I have not heard from you.

Please let me know if my answer was helpful and if you have other questions.

Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 24 days ago

How is the foot today?