Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate three double chocolate cookies... He is 33 pounds…

Customer Question
My dog ate three...

My dog ate three double chocolate cookies...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

He is 33 pounds and is a black lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Rex

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rex?

He's healthy otherwise.

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 23 days ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect your dog very much, in fact, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on Rex. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate today before you would see signs of toxicity. But let's talk things over in more depth ...

The rule of thumb which I apply is that with dark chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 1 ounce per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate Rex's weight as being in the region of 33 pounds then you can see that your dog would have to swallow 9.9 ounces of pure dark chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. Clearly, the amount of chocolate involved today which we estimate to be 4 ounces is going to be very minimal by comparison, so no worries as far as chocolate toxicity goes.

I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned. However some dogs might experience a mild tummy upset, but should this occur, it's not likely to be too serious and should just pass on its own.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course, you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject: LINK

But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Rex's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 22 days ago

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Rex is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the double chocolate cookies incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott