Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'am an experienced breeder of many years over 30 and breed…

I'am an experienced breeder...

I'am an experienced breeder of many years over 30 and breed about ever 2 to 3 years. I have. Ch. bitch who had her last litter 2 years ago. She is showing no signs of coming into season for the last 15 months or so what could be the reason? Had a litter of 6 with no problems at all. I have my own stud dog who is young and would like to have pups from him, he has a litter due next week from fresh cooled shipped semen . What may be wrong with my bitch and what should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

My dog would breedhwrin 5 seconds but my bitch has not come in. She is an AKC Ch. also is now 5 and would like to breed her one more time if she would just come in season.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

My dog and bitch are fine no problems with either one , she just will not come into heat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No nothing no temp no sickness no pain no nothing wrong. my male is just 16 months old and I 'am currently showing him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Preston

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Preston?

No like I said he has a bitch in whelp and due next week. My girls name is ***** ***** she is the one who has not come in season for over 16 months.

Answered in 1 hour by:
5/28/2018
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

What breed is she?

Does she shed a lot?

Have any hair loss?

Does she seem healthy otherwise?

She is a standard smooth dachshund No health problems that are know never sick No hair loss or anything that I know of she is 5 has had 2 litters all healthy did not have any problems helping and took great care of babies her daughter will be 2 July 7th and she has not been in season either for about 10 months. No problems with her either but why are neither one coming in season?

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

I'd suspect hypothyroidism as the cause for her failing to go into heat. It is a problem in dachshunds. Now it isn't that unusual for it to have more than 6 months between heat cycles. You probably already know that. however, hypothyroidism can cause a failure to go into heat. It is also an issue that often come to light later in life.

Infertility issues related to failure to to into heat can be harder to pinpoint since there can be a few different causes. I'd have a thyroid panel run to rule that out as a reason. If it is her daughter that is also seeming to have an issue, she should be tested as well. You can read about hypothyroidism here:

http://www.dachshund.org/health_hypothyroidism.html

You can read more on this and a couple other causes on the following page under the section Primary and Secondary Anestrus.

http://www.labbies.com/reproduction2.htm

Generally speaking most vets won't be concerned until a dog fails to go into heat for over a year. At that point they will want to start doing testing to determine hormone levels throughout the cycle period to see what they are doing to determine what is going on. Read the reproductive page over as it does have a lot of information about what the various hormone levels should be during the cycle and how that affects the cycle.

Id get her tested as soon as possible. If it is not a thyroid issue, then it would be time to consult a reproductive veterinarian. Your current vet may know of one that specializes in reproductive issues.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I will take her in and have her thyroid checked, I did suspect it may be that already so will see . Thanks for your response. I have been breeding for many many years and have not has this problem before. I have helped over 50 litters and done many many breeding of many breeds of dogs assisted in c-sections and done AI's for years but have never had the problems I 'am having now however! Thanks

You are very welcome. I had been breeding quite some time as well when one of my females failed to cycle. I missed it as well since she didn't have any shedding issues though she did seem a bit more aggressive toward the other dogs. I got her tested and it turned out to be a thyroid issue. I had already made the decision to not let her breed due to the aggression. On medication, her temperament improved and she started to cycle. It can be something that we tend to miss if we have never experienced it.

jadedangel57
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
jadedangel57

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.