Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was diagnosed with mastitis a few days ago and has…

Customer Question
My dog was diagnosed...

My dog was diagnosed with mastitis a few days ago and has been on antibiotics. The swelling has went down a little bit but there has been leakage through the skin and today the mammary gland ruptured in two different areas. It does not look like pus but almost like guts coming from the area and it is constantly leaking. What is the recommendation for getting this to finish healing?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

Ava, 3 1/2, currently has a litter of puppies.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? What antibiotic is Ava on?

That is fine, she is on Clavamox

Okay thanks for the additional information. Are you able to take a picture of the area? How long did she have this problem before she went on the antibiotics? It is possible that if the mammary glands were infected that they can rupture because of the thin tissue involved. In some cases depending how it looks surgery may be involved. Sometimes she may need a different and a stronger antibiotics as well. I would probably recommend an anti-inflammatory drug such as rimadyl to see if that helps also.

We had just barely noticed it the morning that we took her in so I don't think she had it for more than a day before starting antibiotics.

Okay thanks for the photo. It does look pretty serious. It looks like it needs to be cleaned out with an antiseptic solutions. I would use dilute betadine solution to gently clean the area. You may also need to apply a warm compress to the area as well. I would ask your veterinarian about prescribing an anti-inflammatory medication as well to see if it would help.

Are you still there?