Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is taking Cefpodoxime for a small foot injury. Her other…

Customer Question
She is taking Cefpodoxime...

She is taking Cefpodoxime for a small foot injury. Her other legs seems like she pulled a muscle can I give her some asperin to make her comfy?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

A Mixed Breed Dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Dog?

She in limping and does not have anything in her foot, it appears to be a muscle.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes I looked

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the Dog's name and age?

Raven 2 years.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

I just want to give her an asperin or two so she can be comfy. I will take her to her vets on Tue. (after the holiday)

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Raven has this problem, however, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Yes, giving aspirin should be safe, and it is compatible with the Cefpodoxime. This drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds such as Tylenol or Paracetamol which can be toxic to dogs.

Many people use plain aspirin in the dog without a problem because it will normally only be used for a few days so any side effects would be very unlikely. But avoid enteric-coated aspirin as the coating can decrease the absorption of aspirin from the intestines in dogs.

2. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications: LINK

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Raven's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Raven is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the use of aspirin in dogs ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott