Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was fine today then lept up onto my husband and her…

Customer Question
My dog was fine...

My dog was fine today then lept up onto my husband and her paw got pinned under my husbands armpits. Now she is walking and running fine but whimpering when she lies down or goes down stairs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Gerty age 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Gerty

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gerty?

When we poke in the area she doesn’t whimper It’s only when she lies down

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 22 days ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Ok

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Gerty has this problem, hopefully, this is something minor, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Soft tissue injuries such as minor strains or sprains are very common in the dog and the symptoms can present just as you describe. Thankfully many such injuries will resolve with a couple of days of complete rest and then a gradual return to exercise combined with an anti-inflammatory drug of some kind.

2. As far as over the counter " human " anti-inflammatory drugs go you do have one option, this being aspirin. This drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds such as Ibuprofen or Paracetamol. Many people use plain aspirin in the dog without a problem because it will normally only be used for a few days so any side effects would be very unlikely. But avoid enteric-coated aspirin as the coating can decrease the absorption of aspirin from the intestines in dogs.

3. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications: LINK

4. Of course, if things do not quickly start to improve or you become further concerned then you should have your vet check your dog over things over. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Gerty's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 21 days ago

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Gerty is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her suspect soft tissue injury ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Hello
She is still a little tender when she lies down or stretches or goes down stairs but seems to have more mobility today. Thank you for checking in!

Thanks for the update, that sounds encouraging, hopefully she will continue to improve ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Should we continue to give her aspirin?

If she is continuing to improve then two or three days more should not do any harm ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

How are things going today?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 18 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?