Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Just got bitten by a copperhead on the nose. He bleed a

Customer Question
Just got bitten by...

Just got bitten by a copperhead on the nose

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

He bleed a little it has stopped

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Lolo he 1 year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lolo?

His nose seem to be swelling

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear this happened to Lolo. However, I have worked out an answer for you below. Basically not all copperhead bites are fatal, however, in the absence of taking your dog to a local vet ASAP { Which would be your best option } the treatment can only consist of :

1. Antihistamines such as Benadryl if there is a gross allergic reaction such as swellings. Here is a link to Benadryl for dose rates etc.: LINK

2. A course of antibiotics is given for a week or so as tissue necrosis is likely at the bite site.

3. Then just supportive care, basically good nursing. Try and keep him comfortable and reassured and eating and drinking. And of course call an ER vet if things are getting significantly worse

4. Here is a link which covers the subject of copperhead snake bite in the dog in more depth: LINK

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Lolo's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Lolo is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the snake bite ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott