Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I was giving him a shave and a bath and felt a large (golf…

Customer Question
I was giving him...

I was giving him a shave and a bath and felt a large (golf ball size) lump around his rib cage on the left side. It isn't super obvious and you have to know what you are looking for to find it. Is this a body part that I just randomly felt or a lump?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Rambo - 8 - yellow lab pure bread

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Rambo?

8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rambo?

Nope - he's very healthy. Not overweight at all. Just was at the vet about 3 months ago or a check up and update on shots. He runs with me about 5 miles 3 or so times a week. Is not fed table food etc.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is the lump above or below the skin?

2- Does the lump move with the skin or is it firmly attached to the underlying tissue?

Below - and does not move
it is smooth. I wasn't sure if it was a lump or if it was a body part...

Are you saying that you are not sure if it is a body part of a lump? Does he have the same on the right?

No. It is a lump I just wasn't sure at first. There is not one on the other side. also it is not tender at all

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, there are many different types of lump that can grow under the skin in dogs. Unfortunately, on history only I will not be able to pinpoint the exact type, I am sorry. To determine the exact nature of the lump I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit the sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter