Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a mixed beagles about 8 mos. Old while we were gone…

Customer Question
I have a mixed...

I have a mixed beagles about 8 mos. Old while we were gone he got a hold of a bottle of vitamin d3 and ate about 100 to 150 of them. What should we do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Bo

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 27 days ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How much does Bo weigh?

2- How many IU or mcg was the Vitamin D3?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

4- How many hours has it been since he ate it?

5- Is he showing any symptoms?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
About 32 lbs.5000 iu
Yrs
About 1 hour
No symptoms

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, the amount of Vitamin D3 your dog ate will be toxic to a 32 lbs dog. I would recommend moving quickly and trying to make him vomit with hydrogen peroxide or taking him to the nearest ER veterinarian to make him vomit and supportive care. This is what you can do:

1- Give him 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit or you do not see all or most of the Vitamin D3 in the vomit I would have him checked by the nearest ER veterinarian for supportive care.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter