Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is going to have surgery next month to have her anal…

Customer Question
My dog is going...

My dog is going to have surgery next month to have her anal sac removed. But the doctor has not told me where he will go in . Is this a belly surgery?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

Constant infected anal glands

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infections your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is your dog's name and age?

Abby. 6 1/2 years old. Red Seal Boston Terrier Female

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
They said there is an "irritated" lump just past the anal sac and they want to remove it as well and send it to histopathology.
5/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this question about Abby.

The surgical site is located exactly where the anal glands are located----at her rectum. This is not abdominal surgery although I suppose I might understand why you might think it would be.

You should be given post-op instructions about keeping the area clean after she has a bowel movement and what to look for in terms of infection (swelling, redness, discharge, etc).

Having this other lump removed at the same time is a wise move as is submitting it for histopathology.

Most dogs do very well after this sort of surgery if done by an experienced surgeon which I assume your vet to be (or they wouldn't have suggested the surgery in the first place).

I hope this helps, Deb

the surgery will be at Blue Pearl surgery center...but, it's unfortunate they've given me very little information regarding the actual surgery. I have looked for a graphic of the surgery site and I cannot find one online. Do you have a graphic that might explain the surgery in more depth?