Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 12 old Maltese male woke up this morning & is not putting…

Customer Question
My 12 old Maltese...

My 12 old Maltese male woke up this morning & is not putting any weight on his back leg. He's not crying, he's running around on 3 legs. I've checked for slivers, foxtails, broken bones. He doesn't yipe when I'm squeazing his foot or leg. I'm stumped.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Bo and he's almost 12 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bo?

He's deaf. and he's tough.

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/27/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 27 days ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Bo.

Please give me time to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience, Deb

It's possible that she has just pulled a muscle or experienced a sprain or it is also possible that she has ruptured her anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) although these injuries are typically quite painful when the knee is palpated . Another possible explanation would be if she has a luxating patella which means her kneecap moves in and out of position. This is a very common problem in the smaller dogs and when they jump or land "wrong", inflammation can develop in the knee and they can be lame because of it. In most cases, these patients aren't going to be painful when the leg is palpated although they clearly are uncomfortable since they're not bearing weight on their limb.

It may be difficult to tell for sure without a good physical examination but I do have a few suggestions:

1. Cool compresses can be applied to the leg but be careful to only apply them for 5-10 minutes at a time. They should be wrapped in a towel or something similar since it's possible to burn the skin if ice is directly applied to a dog's body.

2. If she's not currently taking any medication and not vomiting (I assume), she could given Aspirin at a dose of 5-10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day; this drug should be given with food to avoid stomach upset.

I'm sometimes hesitant to advise its use since it might interfere with what your vet would want to prescribe (if she has to be seen) but one or two doses will not be harmful. The anti-inflammatory as well as anti-pain properties could help in this situation even though she's not actively showing signs of pain.

3. Leash walk her only when she's outside for a minimum of 7-10 days. Don't let her run around or she may cause more injury. It may be hard to keep her from jumping off and on the furniture inside (if she's allowed to do this) but do the best you can in preventing it.

If she hasn't shown improvement in 3-4 days or worsens, then a vet visit would be prudent.

I hope this helps, Deb

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 23 days ago

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Bo. How are things with his leg? Deb